Monday, March 07, 2005

Yarn snobbery and other crimes of vanity

I am a knitter. I knit. I do not shear my own private herd of sheep, nor do I create using only natural fibers. There are those out there who would claim that using acrylic yarn dooms any project of mine to end up looking and feeling cheap and atrocious, an assault to their sense of all that is decent and beautiful in the world. HA! I say. Just as art should not be judged solely by the medium used to create it, so fiber art (knitting, sewing, crocheting, etc.) can be beautiful even if it is created with frugality. Conversely, I've seen a lot of ugly stuff made from yarns I can't even dream of affording. What gets to me is the assumption by certain designers who have their patterns published in i-zines that everyone can just run out to the LYS and pick up the silk and baby llama blend that has been hand painted by blind Hungarian virgins that they chose to use for their sample of their design. I have no LYS unless I drive a minimum of 60 miles. Wraps per inch, please, or some mention of the weight of yarn you suggest!

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Kalendar said...

You GO! How many times have I thought exactly that rant when reading threads online with titles like "Would you ever use acrylic?" or posts like "Not even if it was the only yarn left."

I don't know where the yarn snobbery comes from. And another awful off-shoot is the knit snobs who spurn crochet! I am a knitter but I have friends who crochet who get a lot of rude comments about it from knitters. I just don't get it.

But you are right on target! Thanks for saying what I am always thinking!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com