Saturday, December 03, 2005

Bikers, flakes and fiber!

Oh, what a day in P-Town! We awoke to a fresh blanket of snow, which lent a nice air of winter to the usual dirt-hole experience. (I'm growing increasingly tired of the high desert plains, frankly. This happens yearly around this time.) The girls were excited, and seemed to think, perhaps, that they had simply awakened in Minnesota. No such luck, but there was much talk of Nana, Grandma, and Pappa. It was also a good excuse to drink hot cocoa.

Since it was snowing here, I finally managed to get to the Post Office to mail the hats I'd made for some beloved Minnesotans. Nothing like winter weather in Pueblo to drive the guilt of not getting those hats mailed when they were finished home but good. On my way to the PO I got to see the entire procession of the annual biker rally/toy drive. Over a mile of bikers bearing toys for kids in need. You have to love bikers, really. They are often some of the nicest people on Earth.

So, as if snow and a few hundred bikers (thousand, maybe?) weren't odd enough, Pueblo now has an LYS of sorts. It's a combo fiber art gallery/store called Fiber & Art. It's a nice space, and they sell handpainted and handspun yarn. I saw some lovely lovelies, but the prices were, umm, well, a bit prohibitive. I don't think I saw a hank under $10, and the yardage wasn't terrific. Still, they had hot cider (yummy!) and I had a LONG INVOLVED conversation with one of the women who is selling her stuff there (those of you who know me know that this is weird. I don't often have long involved conversations with anyone, unless you're Skippy) Long and short of it, she's looking for a stitcher to help her with her stuff (I'd rather she were looking for a knitter, but, oh well) and I may have some work coming my way. There was also a point where I cried about my doomed Zigzag, which is weird, because I'm more angry than sad about that, and I'm just angry at the stupid yarn, not anything else, and there was a point where she talked to me in great detail about her Christianity, which made me a bit uncomfortable, but she was really nice, and hey, I was out for several hours without the kids today.

So, today was strange and full of surprises, and none of them were nasty. I think we could all use more days like it.

1 Comments:

Blogger knittinmom said...

That sounds like a bit of a surreal conversation! And I'm jealous of the snow - we got a few flakes the other day, but it melted before it hit the ground.

I loved your poem about Zigzag, too. It's good to be able to put a doomed project to rest, but it's never easy!

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com