Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I'm a Bad Friend...

It's official: I am a world class jerk at times. Way way waaaaaay back in August, I promised my friend Skippy a cardigan. This was a major leap for me, as I was to knit it sans pattern. We took measurements of a sweater she owns and likes and, armed with that and a good half kilo of CC (that's Crafter's Crack), I set off to create a sweater for my best friend. My best friend who lives 1000 miles away and cannot come over to try things on. My best friend who is a 6 foot tall viking, which I, decidedly, am not.

I started off at lightning speed, swatching, calculating, knitting away. The back was done! Yippeee! Now, to the fronts. I wanted to add some short row shaping to add some length to the center front. Simple enough idea, right? Well, the first attempt resembled a sock heel on each side of the sweater (despite what you may be thinking, this was NOT PRETTY, nor was it WHAT I INTENDED). So I frogged. Then I worked up the courage to try again, and achieved the subtle effect I was looking for. Then, X-mas came along, and I got a little, well, distracted. In the recent past (for a couple of months now, actually), I have thought about Skippy's sweater, but there were so many colorful woolen temptresses out there to sway my fingers. (Did I mention it's a black cardigan? Stockinette? [I'm planning lace panels up the sleeves to stave off the monotony. Or maybe just to make it take longer to knit and punish myself for the neglect I've submitted it to.]) Then it happened. I was chatting with Skippy the other night, going on about this project and that, and she oh, so casually and breezily posed the question, "So, what's up with the cardigan?"

It's resting. (I am the sorriest person I know and have no right to complain about any others not getting things done in a timely manner.)

I have since restored the cardigan to the needles, the v-neck and armholes are in the process of being shaped, and, I hope, I am on the road to redemption.

I am still having mini-trysts with color, however. Here is the current state of Potanowannafanna:
I know, the lighting is awful and, yes, I do have Monkey Toes. Perhaps when I evolve a bit, I will be a better friend to my projects for Skippy.

4 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Monkey toes!?! You crack me up! Where do you come up with this moneky toe stuff? Sloth toes, reptile toes- those I've heard before, but never monkey toes! Well, aside from the fact that you're being a wanton adulteress with the Hippopotamus-toe socks, it looks like Skippy's cardigan is a go. ;-) You're not a terrible friend- she will love it (and you) for all the time and effort that went into it, no matter how long it takes. And for knitting for a 6 foot tall viking, you deserve to be canonized. ;-) Take care, Lisa! :-)

12:31 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

Have you ever read about Evil on my blog. The sweater I'm knitting for my Husband without a pattern. It's been on my needles for well over a year now. I'm currently of the opinion that if he had really wanted me to knit him something he would have found a feakin pattern he liked instead of leaving me to flounder over sleeve cap shaping.

I too have monkey toes. Maybe it's not our fault. Let's blame it all on the monkey toes.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Ooo, pretty colors on that sock. I think your monkey toes look elegant.

Think what a relief it will be to have that cardigan finished. :)

5:58 AM  
Blogger klugula said...

You want guilt about not getting things done? How about my nurse? Or how about me doing crap w/ my life right now! Hmm, how 'bout that?

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com