Thursday, February 09, 2006

In Praise of the Indestructable...

So, I finished the acrylic socks of doom today, and was yet again reminded of just why I chose the $1.52 a ball clearance yarn instead of springing for something nicer to work with. Through no fault of her own, Ilsa "helped" me spill coffee on the completed sock. No problem. They will take a quick trip through the washer/dryer and be good as new, and all the yuckiness of working with this yarn will have been worth it for the mere fact that this incident did not ruin them! I couldn't wait to post pics, so try to ignore the coffee splotches. They are starting to look like old blood stains, actually, but no blood was shed in the knitting of these socks. There were some choice words, especially last night when I spotted an error four rows back and just couldn't let it go. I ripped back and somehow managed to get all 69 stitches back on the needles. I think it was just sheer force of will. Anyway, without further ado, New England socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road. Knit in Bernat Sox on Brittany dpns size 1 1/2.
Coffee stains "cleverly concealed"

Yup, there they are!

I should have hiked them up to smooth them out, but I was in a hurry!

2 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Your socks are gorgeous!! I love the pattern you chose and it really "pops" in the white. Awesome job! And thank goodness for the acrylic wash and dry- there's just no other way to go with little ones. Well, there's always the expensive wool and Child Protective Services route, but it's usually preferable to avoid that scene. ;-) And honestly, knowing the socks would be good as new after a wash, I'd have been more upset to have lost some darned good coffee! ;-) Take care, Lisa! :-)

11:39 PM  
Blogger Mamma said...

You are on a roll. First that amazing shawl, now the knock-out socks. They look great. You have to love easy care acrylic. I just shake my head at the stupidity of people who make baby things out of cashmere. I think that's a really mean thing to do to a new mom. Your socks are amazing.

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com