Thursday, February 16, 2006

Olympic Sports and the American Toddler

I remember watching Dorothy Hamill skate in the Olympics oh, so many years ago. I was about the age my daughters are now. My dreamy little head was filled with visions of pretty costumes and flawless jumps. And the flowers. Oh, all the flowers they throw at you! Soon to follow was my first attempt at actually ice skating. My aspirations diminished the moment my bum hit the ice. Maybe it would be enough to just make it all the way around the rink without falling. Okay, without falling more times than I can count.

So, now I have two daughters. The Olympics are on, and to what do they aspire?
1. Curling. I caught them curling in the kitchen with a Matchbox car and a toy broom. Ilsa was the Skip, and Zoe was sweeping furiously down the Bahnspiel.
2. Speedskating. Long track. They have been racing all morning, although, inevitably someone "falls" and then needs a Band-Aid (and sometimes becomes "the baby" and needs a "bottle" and a nap)
3. Hockey. This, however, is no surprise, as the DH has been hoping to groom them into a "kick-ass defensive pairing" since we found out they were both girls (we're rather smallish people, so boys would have been too small to go far in hockey. Not so girls, I guess). They have been enjoying watching the "Hockey Lady Guys" whenever they get the chance.

And what of figure skating? They seem to like it okay, but (and maybe this is for the best for their egos) they seem to believe that it entails a lot of falling down. It does, girls. It does.

3 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Your post brought back so many Olympic memories of my childhood! For my sister and I, it was always the Summer Olympic fantasies (living in Hawaii and all) and being Mary Lou Retton. We'd jump off our porch doing Sukahara vaults and almost broke our mailbox doing the uneven bars. ;-) I caught Bossy in hockey mode yesterday, too. I guess we've all got closet Olympians in ourselves! Take care, Lisa! :-)

1:46 PM  
Blogger klugula said...

I had a dream of being Dorothy Hamill...literally, but my parents couldn't afford the surgery needed to accomplish that goal. So, here I am, salivating over her judging on the Olympics...oh, sorry, that's Skating with Celebrities. Same diff, huh?

2:13 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

*laugh* My 3yo is transfixed by the snowboarding and wants to be the next "Flying Tomato." DH had to fashion a snowboard out of cardboard and duct tape for him.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com