Monday, February 06, 2006

Pending sucess? Perhaps. Secrets? Hoo-boy!

So, I finished the edging on Kiri and am now 1/2 way through casting off and I must tell you all (all, what? 5 of you?) I am scared. This is my first lace project that requires blocking and I am praying to the Fiber Fairies that everything will go according to plan (not that I have a plan, per se). It just seems so, I don't know, small right now. I even laid out the completed half and counted to reassure myself that I had, indeed knit the full 12 repeats. Yup, they're all there. So, here's hoping!

I guess more people have (happily, I hope) stumbled over here since this fall when I made my Josephine, so here's the scoop. Yes, I made it out of Red Heart doubled. (To add insult to injury, I used frogged Red Heart! Hah! Sometimes I gots to give myself my own Ghetto props!) I used size 13 and 11 needles, and my gauge was spot on. There is an error in the pattern (I've e-mailed the designer, but she either doesn't check her mail anymore or I managed to piss her off somehow I always tend to believe I've pissed someone off before considering alternatives, BTW at any rate, the errors have not been posted with the pattern yet). I did not join the KAL, as someone mocked me for my yarn choice and my feelings were hurt (yeah, I'm petty like that, so what?) It was a pretty quick knit, and I think I'm going to add some twill tape at the back of the neck, as it is a heavy sweater and I have no shoulders. I'm also looking for a nice pin to use as a closure. Here's a couple photos of how she turned out:
If I do say so myself, it's hard to guess her "dirty little secret," but the Josephine pictured above is 100% Red Heart Super Saver, acrylic to the core! And she's holding up nicely, no pilling to speak of, so all in all, I'd do it again!

And as long as we're airing secrets, I didn't finish Kiri or my socks today because I was taking down the X-mas tree. Finally. I'm so ashamed.

6 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Girl, you make Red Heart look better than Rowan. Your Josephine is BEAUTIFUL!!! Looking at yours makes me want to knit one myself. And I was pretty freaked about Kiri, too- it looked like an extra-large dishcloth pre-blocking, but the Fiber Fairies came through. ;-) And I salute your bravery for your Christmas tree admission. If it makes you feel any better, I just took down Christmas stockings last weekend. ;-) Take care! :-)

10:23 PM  
Blogger Keri said...

I love your Josephine. She turned out to be real purty. BTW...I am currently making a Clappy out of TLC. Ghetto power!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Good job on Josephine, and don't worry about the lace. It'll block out fine. Just be sure the strech the heck out of it when you pin it. Thanks for the welcome to the SMAKadingadong, and I'm surprised your Xmas tree hadnt' already died from spontaneous combustion. :-)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Tina in Wonderland said...

Your Josephine is absolutely beautiful! (And hey, I use the economic acrylic Red Heart when I can, myself)

My tree has been down since the first week of January, BUT I'm still getting stabbed in the toe by those stupid little straggling pine needles that fell off the X-mas tree and hid in the carpet.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Mamma said...

I'm loving Josephine. I might have to add her back to my list of upcoming knits. It looks amazing. I hate people who belittle other's yarn choices. Snobbery takes all the fun out of knitting. I too shall turn my back on the Josephine KAL.

If it makes you feel better, I still have my Halloween Pumpkin decoration hanging on my front door. SHHHHH.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Faerynuff said...

Love Kiri! Pondweed indeed, someone poke DH with a sharp knitting implement!

I've still got some paperchains up in the front room.....

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com