Thursday, February 02, 2006

Save Me From Myself... please?

So, I had fully intended to finish up these socks for my February socks for the SockAMonthALongADingDong.

Mmm hmm. Yeah. Well, then I got to thinking about how it IS February and it IS the start of Carnival season, culminating in Mardi Gras on the 28th and (I really don't know how this happened) I ended up with Potanowanofana (that's Pomatomus to you and me, Rus) cast on in Knitpicks Sock Memories Carnival (see what I'm getting at here? How could I resist?) and underway before you could say short attention (what? Oh, never mind!).

Originally, and due to a rare blend of Crafter's Crack that I keep only for myself, I had planned to attempt to do these using the 2 socks on 2 circs method, but owing to a rare combination of laziness and penny pinching (aka: not willing to search long enough to find instructions and too cheap to even consider buying any) I found myself attempting to re-invent the wheel with mere bendy sticks and wool. It wasn't happening. After roughly an hour of knitterly contortionism, I looked down at the mess in front of me and quietly surrendered. Perhaps (and I think this may be a big part of it) 16" circs are a wee bit too short for such an undertaking. Yeah, let's blame the equipment and move on. Perhaps the Pomatomus, much like the Beta, is a solitary fish, doomed to fight and destroy any others who dare approach it (at least on a 16" circular. Here's hoping it'll tolerate its mate on the other foot, at least)
It's much happier alone.



But, what of the 3/4 finished pair? I just can't bring myself to work on them. The pattern is fun and challenging.











Perhaps this

has something to do with it. (Yes, it's the label from the Bernat Sox yarn I'm using. 60% acrylic, 40% nylon, 100% cheap) Anyone have any motivating words to give me the swift kick in the nether regions to get these done and get yet another ball of acrylic gone from my stash?

And then there was Kiri. I have now completed 11 repeats of Chart 2.
1. Behold Kiri, unblocked.









2. Behold closeup of kinda-pinned-out-to-simulate-blocking leaf.









3. Behold remaining yarn from original 3 balls.

4. Tell me now, one more repeat, or leave it alone and just do the edging?

3 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Your SockAMonth socks are lovely! And your Crafter's Crack comment cracked me up- I think we all have some Grade B street variety stash hanging around that we manage to pull out for just such occasions. ;-) I don't know how I missed it, but I didn't realize that you were knitting Kiri!! Yours is GORGEOUS!!!! SO beautiful!! I love, love the green. With that gorgeous yarn, my vote is to go with the full 12 repeat. Either way, it's going to be stunning! Take care! :-)

1:33 AM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Are those the New England socks from KOTR? They look vaguely familiar. They are stunning even if they are cruddy acrylic. And I love the hat from the last post! Too cool!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Bitterknitter said...

Good eye, Knittinmom! They are New Englands. I love KOTR (the DH was reading your comment over my shoulder and said, "Knights of the old Republic? That's a great game! Men...) I did Huron Mountain? Lake? Oh, the ones that look like Loons, for my MIL. Second pair ever. Sometimes I doubt my sanity. Ah, well! Dalarna is in the queue, and maybe Traveler's Stockings... We shall see...

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com