Tuesday, February 28, 2006

So Grumpy, oh, so Very Very Grumpy!

I think I get this way every year at around this time. I started blogging around this time last year, and maybe that is why I titled the blog the Bitter Knitter. For that is how I felt at the time. Bitter. Grumpy. That's how I've been feeling for the past few days. I had hoped to avoid posting during this little mental slump, but I have to vent somewhere, and you all can just surf away if you're not interested in my kvetching.

The cardigan is on hold waiting for some measurements, since I am too disorganized to have managed to keep the original measurements anywhere that now makes sense. It's just lying around now, reminding me of my ineptitude at keeping order in my life. *GRUMP*

I just turned the heel on Potatomatomustard #2. I made a couple of errors on this one, and left one in and "fixed" the other, since they are just for me. My perfectionism oddly doesn't extend to things I make for myself. Which makes me think about the Stash of Shame, and why should it be a Stash of Shame, anyway? Because it's acrylic? It's all I can afford right now, which makes me grumpy, and there are people out there who wouldn't touch the stuff with any length of pole and are proud of it. So why is yarn snobbery okay, anyway? Other snobbery is frowned upon, but it seems that knitters are encouraged and applauded for saying things like, "Lion Brand? Maybe, but NEVER EVER Red Heart!" Mind you, I'm not in love with cheap yarn, but I feel that it has its place for certain projects, and, without it, I wouldn't get much knitting done, since I'd have nothing to knit with! *GRUMP*

The girls are getting closer to turning 3, and it is not agreeing with them OR me, as it seems to be turning them into sassy backtalking Pierres, which is making me grumpy and doubtful of my skills at raising children (note to self: 3 years in is a little late to start doubting).

The only bright point lately seems to be that one of my violets has decided to bloom.

I wish it were enough to snap me out of this funk. (I posted the photo as a little thank you for those who managed to wade through this post.)

4 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

I feel you on all your grump points, especially point #2. Like you, I really can't afford luxury yarn right now. That's not to say that I'm in love with cheap yarn, either, but the majority of the time, it's what I use because I love the craft and wouldn't be able to knit were it not for less expensive options. I don't think that makes us any less as knitters at all! In fact, I've seen people knit REALLY atrocious items with really expensive yarn and conversely, I've seen others make Red Heart look like the finest cashmere. I think a truly skilled knitter (like you) can turn any type of yarn into a work of art. And I feel your pain on having 2 year olds practicing to be 3, as if 2 is not bad enough already. ;-) I hate to say it... 3 was kind of a tough year, but I only had one 3 year old to contend with, so I can only imagine what you're going through. Hang in there... it really does get better... I think! LOL! ;-) Take care and hugs to you, Lisa! :-)

4:59 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Hang in there, spring is coming. I have acrylic and a 3-yo. Coincidence? Not hardly. Acrylic loves us and wants us to be happy -- that's why it's machine washable. :-)

I'm always happy to recommend my favorite parenting books, but I don't like to push my views on others, so just let me know if you're interested. Twins... ack!! Singletons are hard enough!

6:18 PM  
Blogger klugula said...

It must be contagious, cuz I've had the "glooms" for the past few days. I know they'll pass.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

What a bad funk to be in. Three year olds can do that to you. I only have one three year old, but his little sister is almost two and mimics him completely. It's rough. Especially the back talk. You are a good mother. I know this because you are concerned about your mothering skills. A bad mother wouldn't care. You are doing just fine. Three is just a little worse than the terrible twos. Four gets better, and I'm loving five (my oldest is five) Hang in there.
As far as acrylic goes. Ignore the yarn snobs. They suck. I was so inspired to see your Josephine, I'm going to make one out of red heart too, as soon as I can afford it. You have more talent and grace than those yarn snobs will ever possess.
This too shall pass.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com