Monday, March 06, 2006

The Very Cockles of My Heart...

Were warmed today, when I entered the laundry room to this sight:

Yes, that is all of the DH's (and one pair of the girls') handknit socks laid out to dry flat! This has never happened before. Okay, okay, so he only separated them from the rest of the load and piled them on the washer. I laid them out. But, this is a man who can't even be bothered to check pockets before doing laundry. I know I should be happy that he at least can operate the machines and demonstrates this skill on a fairly regular basis, but, really, how hard is it to check the pockets? Honestly. I digress. He took the time and care to spare his handknit socks from the dryer. Wow. It touched my heart, and I mean that sincerely.

The Dalarnas are a no go. I blame using Norwegian wool for Swedish socks. I was just asking for trouble. I don't have enough yardage, so I'm doing Friday Harbors instead, but that didn't stop my ancestors from finding ways to punish me for my error in judgement. I managed to gouge my thumb while reassembling a chair from IKEA for the girls. Still hurts. Okay, okay, I'm sorry! I will find some nice yarn with which to make a second attempt someday.

The girls made enormous strides in potty learning today! Wow! My mom sent a few pair of training pants last week, does anyone remember these? Undies with a thicker, slightly more absorbant crotchular area? They work like a dream (that is, if you dream of little voices saying "uh oh" a lot for a while). They had some success during the day, but the minute the DH came home they put on a potty show! I swear they would have pulled out the pyrotechnics if it weren't for their collective fear of "hot fire." They are such drama queens! But we are on our way to a diaper-free existance!

3 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Look at all those fabulous handknit socks! I hope to have enough handknit socks someday to warrant a collection large enough to separate from the rest of the wash load. Though I've gifted many pairs away, sadly, I only have 2 pairs to my name..and many promised pairs to the duo and the DH. That was so sweet of your DH! Aren't those training pants the best? We used them with Bossy and they worked wonderfully. Stinky just turned two and is starting to show some interest in the potty, so it's time to dig them out again. Hooray for a diaper-free existence!! Potty-training with twins... I take my hat off to you!! Take care, Lisa! :-)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

I love your sock collection. It is a good feeling to see them all out there, isn't it:)
Aah, diaper free...I remember the joy of that day!

9:47 AM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Wow! Socks spared from the dryer and girls on the potty? What a day!

I found bribery to be key in potty training. I used cookies. And no, she doesn't still expect a cookie every time she uses the potty! The potty that played music every time she went was a big hit, too. Good luck!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com