Tuesday, April 25, 2006

80 is Great (y...)

So. This is my 80th post. Hmm... Seems like it's only been about 78, huh? Not a huge milestone, but I missed my Bloggiversary back in March, so, why not celebrate a mediocre blip on the radar?

The sock yarn is coming. They weren't ignoring me, per se, but, since I didn't name names, we'll just leave it at that. It will come. Oh, yes it will. And with little to no actual violence, at that!

To celebrate the fact that I must soon begin knitting a half dozen hot pink socks, I decided to order this and some of this, to treat myself. I may never achieve SABLE (Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy), but I might just get to PPBLE (Projects Planned Beyond Life Expectancy).

Potty training is going, well... It's going. The Pirate King, shown here in full Pirate regalia (my daughter wants to be Kevin Kline, so?), is now a fully trained, princess-panty-wearing, 24-7 potty pro! She even got up last night and went to the bathroom without asking for help. Her sister (the Prolific Pooper) is another story. She is just a little too laid back. Oh, did I just poop my pants? Oh, well. No biggie. Except that it is becoming a biggie, since nothing seems to motivate her. Not special time alone with Mom (which is a rare commodity for twins), not the pretty princess panties, nothing seems to be doing the trick. I know that she is capable, as we had several days of no accidents about three weeks back, so I don't feel I'm unduly pushing for something she cannot do. We had told the girls that when they were potty pros, we would get them guitars. Said guitars have been purchased and squirreled away, and so here is my question, to all you wise mommies out there: Do we give one girl her guitar to use as a motivational tool on the other? Or would that just be asking for trouble? The Pirate King has a tendancy to write songs and broadcast for one and all when her sister has an accident. I've tried to curb this behavior, but I'm concerned that arming her with an instrument will make her the Prolific Pooper's troubadour, wandering the streets of "Tha 'Blo" singing about poopy undies.

3 Comments:

Blogger klugula said...

Congrats on your time in the blogsphere. I wish I had some advice for you in the potty training issues. But, alas...I have no children...not sure how I feel about that. I think I'd rather start out w/ a dog to test my levels of responsibility. We'll see how it goes from there.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Happy Blogiversary even it it's belated:)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Hmmm, that's a tricky one. You don't want to set up resentment between the girls (by the way, "Siblings Without Rivalry" is an AWESOME book). Is the potty trained one really excited about the guitar? If she's really looking forward to it, I'd go ahead and give it to her so as not to have a "your sister is the reason you can't have what you want" thing going.

If it's not a big deal to her, I'd hold off on the guitars, so that the not-trained one doesn't get a "your sister is the favored one and gets special tokens of affection that you're not yet worthy of" vibe.

Honestly, at this age, giving a coveted item to Miss Trained is more likely to make Miss Not-Trained resent her sister than want to poop in the potty. Those little sphincters are one of the few things kids that age can control in their lives, so she's not going to use the potty until she's darn well ready to (even though she's physically able).

If you give Trained the guitar now, just make sure to do it in a way that is not shaming to Not-Trained. I'd cheerfully assure her that you know she'll use the potty when she's ready, and her guitar will be there waiting for her.

Meanwhile, try to be matter-of-fact and neutral about poop situations. Remove any element of power struggle. She'll probably be more willing to use the potty when it's HER idea rather than everyone else's.

Hang in there! I was just thinking... teenaged girls planning their "someday" families always want twin girls. You're living the dream! LOL

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com