Thursday, August 31, 2006

Enraged

I could cry.

Or kill someone.

I went to the fair this evening to check out the General Entries Display and see my sweater. I was only expecting to see Zoe's cardigan, as I thought I had read that they only display 1-3rd place. As I was scanning the items, I noticed a 4th place ribbon on one of the items. So I kept looking, trying to find my Zigzag.

I found it.

Oh, how I wish they had put it in storage instead of on "display." They hung it. Not on a hanger, which would be kind of okay. They hung it on an unpadded, wooden T that spans all of about 10" leaving the squared-off wooden ends of the T to dig into the fabric encouraged by the weight of the sweater. The sweater itself looks like some piece of shit dishrag flung over the T to dry. (I have nothing against dishrags, mind you...) I really don't mind them making my work look like crap, really. I'm just so scared that the way they displayed it has done irreparable damage to the fabric. I don't know if I can block that kind of stretching and stress out. That sweater was a piece of art; and now, because I decided to share it and enter it into the fair, it's going to be garbage? I don't know how to handle that. Of course, the fair assumes no responsibility for damage done while in their possession.

I am just so sad.

And angry.

I feel violated.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I can only imagine how you are feeling. I'm so sorry that happened to your sweater.

But hang in there - blocking is magical stuff. No tears until you have it back and have tried to reshape it.

And then, whether or not it can be reshaped, I would write a letter to the Fair Board.

Sure, they will say they "aren't responsible for any damage" but perhaps they won't destroy anyone's work next year.

Aren't the knitting competitions supposed to be judged by knitters? Knitters should know better. And they ought to be prepared to safely display a sweater.

Oh, that was a long comment. Sorry. I am a little irate on your behalf.

6:43 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, how horrible! What were they thinking? I'm crossing my fingers for blocking to works its magic, but I'd be furious, too.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Margot said...

You know, I think you should speak up. I understand that the fair doesn't want to take responsibility for accidents or events out of their control such as damage by disrepectful fair-goers, but this is a clear case of negligence on their part. Displaying it in a damaging fashion will not encourage people to submit their best - or any - work. And isn't one of their goals to promote these arts and crafts?

If you get no satisfaction from the management, do to the board. If the board does not respond appropriately, then write a letter to the editor. Don't let them get away with this.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

I hope you were able to offer a better way to display the sweater the rest of the time. Poor sweater, victim of sweater abuse. Blocking and a good soak will no doubt will do wonders.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

I am so sorry. I hope blocking can heal your sweater. :-(

4:51 AM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

Gah! I'm with Margot - you should definitely make a little stink. I would be TO'ed big time, although blocking probably will make a big difference... I've got my fingers crossed for ya!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com