Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Wild and Wooly.....Worsted?

About a year ago, I was wandering the "yarn aisle" in our local craft store, which is the only game in town, and rather slim pickin's. There were two other ladies in said aisle who happened to be within earshot when one turned to the other and said, "What's a Worsted, anyway?" Her companion replied that she had no idea.

Now, I try to believe that I'm not nosy, or the type to listen in on others' conversations, but I like to help whenever possible (it's the teacher in me, I guess), so I stepped up with a brief explanation that worsted yarn will knit up at about 4-5 stitches per inch, blah blah blabbity blah. There. I had answered their question and now they would no longer need wonder.

As I walked away, I heard the first woman say to the other, "Huh. I always thought a Worsted was some kind of animal."

Almost made me wish I'd kept my big mouth shut, just so that the myth of the Great American Worsted could have lived on in this woman's mind.

The Worsted, a North American fleece-bearing animal, is much prized for its ability to produce fleece of varying fiber contents, ranging from acrylic to 100% "wool", depending largely on diet.

Imagine. I have. I think that the Worsted might look something like this:



In fact, that's what my daughters, the DH and I call him when reading Where the Wild Things Are. The Worsted. Why him specifically? Well, because he always looks a little...











Sheepish. (Apologies to the guards of the Punitentiary.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Mamma said...

I love that book! And I love "The Worsted" Mind if I introduce my children to the Worsted?

5:49 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Oh, wow. She thought a Worsted was an animal. I'm still in awe.
We love that book, however, and think The Worsted is a great name!
Also, would you please send me your mailing address? I've got some Mock Croc stitch markers with your name on them! :)
--Amanda
http://bulldogknits.blogspot.com
amandawoodruff AT gmail DOT com

4:43 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Boooooo hiss! :-D

Ok, that was classic...

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really disillusioned when I found out it was named after a town in the UK. They're ALL named after towns in the UK! I refuse to ever visit Bulky, Scotland.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com