Thursday, October 26, 2006

Cursed

Do you ever get the feeling that your knitting is cursed? In the last 48 hours, I have:
  • discovered upon almost full completion of a sock knit on size 0's for a women's size 10 foot (see LL socks for Mom on the sidebar), that the sock I was knitting measured 10" around. (RRRIP!)
  • been informed that the recipient of the sunburst Fun Fur hat loved it so much she literally burst through the top of said hat
  • been made painfully privy to the fact that gauge swatches lie. They tell huge whoppers, in fact, and they are therefore evil.

Gauge lied on my mom's socks, and then it lied on the Log Cabin socks I had a good start on. I couldn't get the stated gauge with my yarn, so I got close, but a little big and went ahead. I could barely get the cuff on my ankle after the first set of cables were knit! Lies, all lies from those swatches. I know it is part of some bizarre conspiracy to prevent me from completing any socks during Socktober, but I will have at least one pair off the needles by Halloween. Oh, yes, I will. Just wait and see!

4 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Yes, gauge is a nasty liar. We put our trust in it during our most vulnerable times and it turns its back on us. *pout*
I'm so sorry you've had such knitting trials, lately! But congrats on the new LYS in town.*grin*

5:29 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Gauge swatches are evil and should not be allowed!!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

I thought I was the only one who hooked up with lying, cheating, scumbag swatches! We'll have to write a book: Swatches Who Lie and the Women Who Knit Them.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

i love pyewacket's comment!

as i've said before, swatches lie like little tiny knitted rugs. :)

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com