Monday, October 30, 2006

Escape From Sleeve Island


I don't normally complain about sleeves (unless I'm trying to design them). The fact is, I have come to terms with the basic facts about sleeves. These are as follows:

  1. They always take longer to knit than you think.
  2. They also take a helluva quite a bit more yarn than you think.
  3. There are always (with some exceptions) two of them.

With these facts in hand, I often estimate that sleeves may take up to 40% of my time and yarn to complete, and I almost always knit them both at the same time, which deals with fact about sleeves #4: One sleeve quite often ends up longer than the other. Knitting them both at the same time doesn't avoid this eventuality entirely, but it makes it a rarer occurrance.

What I'm saying is, basically, I've made peace with sleeves for the most part. That is, until a very specific moment this month when I assessed my WIPs and realized that (aside from the socks, which we all know were doomed, and the shawl, which is currently still in the stockinette column phase, and therefore not highly engaging at present) barring casting on yet another project all that was left to me were sleeves! DH's Cambridge Jacket was done save for sleeves, the sample knitting needed sleeves, and Zoe's Cardi was ready to divide for, yup, you guessed it! Sleeves! That's a lot of sleeves to face down, even for me.

I am happy to report that as of today there are only one set of sleeves yet to be knit, and they're in the round with a fun lace pattern at the wrist to look forward to (Zoe's been so patient...)!

The last flight is leaving Sleeve Island. We hope you enjoyed your stay and we will see you again!!

Up next? Some holiday knitting in this:

and Log Cabin Socks version 2.0.

Oh! Before I forget! I added a button to the sidebar. It's a link to Chrissy Gardiner's new site. I know I probably don't have many knitting readers who don't already know about this, but do go check it out and buy a pattern or two! I'm very proud to say that I have been able to work as tech editor on a lot (most? perhaps all?) of these patterns! There's some cool stuff up already with more to come! Go! Now!

3 Comments:

Blogger jennie said...

Oh, I've just entered sleeve-island. But I'm trying to be smart about it this time -- I've started the sleeves first!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

I so hear you about the sleeves. My Rogue is sleeveless as I contemplate knitting two at once, and poss in the round.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Skippy said...

I can't necessarily relate here, as you well know, but I have a similar relationship with assembly. I have many, many a completed block sitting in my baskets. All I have to do is get some sashing done and put them together. When you escape from Sleeve Island come on over for a visit on Assembly Peninsula.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com