Tuesday, February 06, 2007

For Once!










For once, I have a gift knit completed well ahead of schedule!

Swallowtail Shawl, by Evelyn Clark
Yarn: Misti Alpaca laceweight
Needles: US 4's

This was the first triangular lace shawl I've knit that uses more than one lace pattern. The nupps were far easier to work in the alpaca than in the mohair I used for the Estonian Garden Lace scarf. This was knit as a gift for my grandmother's upcoming 90th birthday in March. It is small, weighs practically nothing, and is really quite lovely, so I deemed it an appropriate shawl for a little old lady (who would be mortified if she learned that I had referred to her as such!). I'm gifting it with the offer of lifetime laundering and blocking services. I only hope to have the favor called in for many years to come!

The DH is wearing his Cambridge Jacket again! I guess for once I picked a winner with this one! He is also excited at the prospect of adding Avast to his wardrobe, so I'd best get swatching for that soon.

Glancing at the sidebar, we can see that the Year of the UFO is progressing quite well, with far more filled progress bars than not. I think I'll keep them all up there until they are all filled up. Kind of adds some color.

In the biggest knitting news chez Bitter, Ilsa knit five stitches this weekend! All by herself! I'm so proud. That girl is getting her own needles for her fourth birthday, that's all there is to it!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

Gorgeous! What a breath of relief to have it done early. :) I'm sure your grandmother will treasure it dearly.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

It's the greatest feeling seeing your loved one in one of your handknits, isn't it? The swallowtail is outstanding.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's a gorgeous shawl! How many balls did you use?

3:44 AM  
Blogger jennie said...

it's beautiful. i'm sure your grandmother will love it!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

The shawl is gorgeous! Love, love, love the color. That is one lucky grandma. :)

What kind of yarn and what size needles did you have your daughter using? My almost 4 year-old DD has been sniffing around my knitting and wondering how it all works.

Thanks!

Mel

4:30 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Hon, that is STUNNING. Happy birthday to your grandma! I'm sure she'll treasure every stitch.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Mamma said...

The shawl is stunning. Like everyone else I'm sure your Grandmother will love it.

Isn't it fun to teach your daughter to knit. My dd loves to get her scarf (that she's been working on for months and is only five inches long) and sit with me and knit. She only does it for five or ten minutes at a time, but it makes her so happy. And I love sharing that part of my life with her.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com