Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Losing the Battle













Yet, winning the war. I did, indeed, run out of yarn on Icarus. I don't think the solution harms the final product in the least, do you?

Didn't think so.

Pattern: Icarus, by Miriam Felton
Yarn: Knitpicks Bare Merino Laceweight and a touch of Colinette Parisienne in Castagna
Needles: 3mm circular

I knit this as a gift for my mom, who, incidentally, is flying out for a visit tomorrow, so the finishing couldn't have better timing. I'm ashamed to admit how long this thing languished on the needles. I got bogged down in the stockinette columns, and it just sat quietly waiting for me to pick it up again. Looking at it pinned out on my bedroom floor, I'm glad I refocused my energies on this one. It's really a beautiful pattern. (and, not a half bad dye job on my part! All hail the Kool-Aid Man! Ooh, yeah!) My only real problem, other than running out of steam in the beginning, and running out of yarn at the end, was the fact that the name Icarus just makes me think of that episode of the Cosby Show when we find out that Theo's not really an idiot, he's just dyslexic. So, here's to Theo and his magical LD diagnosis, and here's to my mom, who raised me and gave me wings. The least I can do is return the favor.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Isis Rising said...

I love the main color, and the darker edges really give that shawl character. I'm still on the fence as to if I need blocking wires, though each time I see your lace on them, I move a bit off the fence towards the purchase. When I first saw the Icarus shawl in IK, I wasn't crazy about it. I think the color of yours gives the pattern body and depth.

I'm sure your mother will love it!

And-- I've got another shawl to put on my "to knit" list.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Really beautiful. Love the edging...what an clever solution! Lucky mom.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Mamma said...

That shawl is simply stunning. I know the color on the edges was a matter of necessity, but I think it is what takes it over the edge from a nice knit to amazing. I might have to revisit that pattern.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pretty :) I love the edging. It sets off the rest of the shawl beautifullly. Your mom will love it.

Funny coincidence: I just finished Icarus myself, and had to use a contrasting color edging, also.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Crafty Lulu said...

It's gorgeous!! You did a wonderful job and it's beautiful and insert every other comment that is good that I could possibly include!
I'll see you around the shop.

4:19 PM  
Blogger prairiegirl said...

Oh that is so gorgeous! I love the edging! I think it looks even better with the contrasting colour! Way to go!!!!! I love that pattern, but I'm afraid of it! Maybe some day I'll try it too! Your mom is going to love it I'm sure!

8:16 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I love the darker edges. They add such a nice touch. :)
Yours is the second lace shawl I've seen this week with a contrasting border due to a yarn shortage--but they both look so great I'm sure someone will start designing them that way soon! *grin*

2:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Just lovely, and I'm sure your mom will just love it! If I didn't know the border was meant to be the same color as the rest of the shawl, I would have thought the pattern was written with a different colored edging! The yarn you selected to finish the edging goes so well with the main color; it really looks like wings that have been "dipped" into water or some other liquid and become darker as a result.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

Wow. That is just gorgeous.

I'm ashamed to admit that my "Icarus" has been on time out for maybe two months now. I really do need to pull it back out and work on it.

At least now i don't have to fear running out of yarn, though. Thanks!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It's gorgeous. I love the second color at the edges. Don't tell, and no one will guess it's because you ran short. ;-)

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks great, and the edging in a contrasting color give it an awesome effect!!!!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I love the two colors! Such richness! And a lucky mom, too!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I think the solution enhances the finished product! :-)

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com