Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Jumping in With Both Feet

In an attempt to broaden my horizons a bit (and to liven up my languishing sock drawer) I signed on to participate in Sockapalooza 4. I have never participated in a swap of any kind on the internets. I guess I had a fear that my "pal" would flake on me. I have set that fear aside, as my pal has already contacted me and seems really geared up to knit some socks! As am I.

In celebration of trying something new, for my pal's socks, I have decided to crack into "The Museum." What's "The Museum?" you ask? Well... I have this little problem.

(no, not sock yarn in general, that is a little bigger problem, due to my belief that "sock yarn doesn't count")






I Love Trekking.












I love it a lot.

I want to take every ball of it I see home.

And put it in "The Museum."

You see, despite my heralded affection for the Trekking, I have not yet brought myself to crack into a single skein of the stuff. Not. One. Hence, "The Museum" was born. We loves the Trekking, we hoardes it, we pets it, but we do not knits with the Trekking. Yes, it's a sickness.



Until now. Today I have decided, as executive curator of "The Museum" that my pal will have socks. She will have socks knit from Trekking XXL color #100. And in the knitting, may my neurotic affliction pass.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Lola and Ava said...

that's my favorite of all the trekking! good choice.
-L

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are fantastic colors. Such a pretty museum. I'm sure your sock pal's tootsies will appreciate the museum breakout. I've heard fabulous things about knitting and wearing trekking.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

I am pretty sure that the blues in the upper right of the picture are the blues I knit my last pair of socks in. Yum!

I hearts it muchly.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Jamie C. said...

I, too, suffer from the Trekking sickness. As I type I am working on a pair of socks in Trekking 126 (the one that knits up like neopolitan ice cream). I have a skein of 100 that I have been thinking about using. My problem is that no pattern seems to "live up to" the Trekking yarn. It gets tricksy!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

And the prime exhibit has been ... dismantled. Very brave you are.

(But it's okay, because you can still get a replacement exhibit. Like a substitute, only exactly the same.)

4:34 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Don't feel guilty -- look at it like this: You actually have TWO hobbies! The first is knitting, and the second is yarn collecting. A stamp collector wouldn't want to mail things with their acquisitions so don't feel bad about not always wanting to knit with yours.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Mauren Mureaux said...

I've only petted and used black trekking, for Soldier socks. I've yet to make myself any socks with trekking. I meant to pick some up at Maryland Sheep & Wool...but managed to not bring any home. Sigh.

You're very generous to use your museum exhibits to make socks for your pal.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

Yikes, ze bitter knitter is going to knit ze Trekking? It must be getting cold down under(wink)

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, that doesn't seem the least bit odd to me. Once you knit it into socks, you don't have YARN anymore. It is something completely different. But something beautiful that will warm some one's feet & heart. You can (almost) always buy more yarn.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

As curator of your museum, you do get to dictate. But trying some of the Trekking falls into the catagory of "hands on" museums. The items are allowed to be touched, pushed, pulled, fondled and knit.

And if you permanently loan out an item from the collection, that is good reason to acquire two replacements....

4:00 AM  
Blogger YTT said...

You have nailed a major problem in the knitter's world: the stash holds infinite possibilities, which are limited the minute you actually use the yarn to make something.

I am sorry to say too that your disease is contagious. I have been fingering Trekking for weeks but have not yet taken the plunge. But just reading your post, I feel my heart rate increasing ...

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo...I love the Museum of Trekking! I also adore color 100 and just snagged a skein of it last weekend (at Colorado Fiber Arts, coincidentally).

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I totally have that problem with the Trekking. I think I have 5 skeins, and they just sit around looking pretty. I think I avoid them because the yarn seems so thin...
-Your sock pal, who will NOT forget about you :)

9:05 PM  
Blogger Miriam said...

i don't have any trekking...yet.

good for you for being brave and knitting up a skein or two.

When you send it out into the world your will love it even more.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com