Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Set Adrift

One of the things I love about knitting samples is, other than the big pluses of getting a "sneak peek" at a spankin' new pattern and often getting to use yarns I wouldn't otherwise drop the cash for, it gives me focus, direction. The deadline charges my knitting and I actually get things done. I recently finished two sample socks for Gardiner Yarn Works, and once they were out of
the house, that old feeling crept up on me again.









Lazy River Socks












Walk in the Woods Socks


I feel I've been set adrift in a round boat with no rudder and no oars. Just spinning and drifting and listing this way and that. No focus, no looming deadlines. It's a strange feeling.

In an attempt to combat the perception that I never knit for myself, I've been plugging away at a couple of things for me, namely the Fire Monkey socks and Bianca's Jacket. But I keep getting torn away by one temptation or another... Not stuff for me, just flashes of brilliant gift ideas for others and the like.

The Shetland Triangle, last seen as an expanse of fluffy peaks, was gifted to the lovely and talented Emily (LYS owner extraordinaire!) for her birthday. Tears were shed and, as expected, it looks wonderful on her.














Pattern: Shetland Triangle, by Evelyn Clark
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas sportweight in ? baby pink (leftovers from some sample knitting)
Needles: US 6
Modifications/Notes: I think I knit one more full repeat than called for. It was a pretty easy pattern to memorize and a lot of fun to block since it knits up SO LUMPY!

I'm also plugging away on my pal's Sockapalooooza socks:

First time using Trekking, first toe-ups (successful toe-ups, there was a toe-up of which we shall not speak, and one toe-up sample that I don't count), and first shortrow heels (for an adult) Any suggestions on a stretchy bind off? Don't say EZ's sewn bind off, I've used it and I don't find it to be elastic enough (ie: it stretches, but doesn't have much memory, KWIM?) Should I do a tubular bind off, or are there any other suggestions out there? I'm almost ready to start the ribbing for sock #1, so any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Sockapalooza socks are lovely, I really like the way the yarn is striping and the pattern is subtle, but works so well with that colour way!

Mithranstar x

1:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Beautiful knits! I like how well the colors and pattern for your Sockapalooza socks work together without overwhelming or distracting one another. If you're doing 1x1 ribbing, try the Knit-One Purl-One Bind-Off from KnittingHelp.com:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/bind-off.php

It's like the tubular bind-off without the tube and about as stretchy.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Monique said...

I gasped when I saw the sockapalooza socks. Everything is pretty, but the socks took my breath away.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Very nice! I'm a big fan of the tubular bind off myself, even if it is a little fiddly.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

I love Trekking! I think it makes some of the best striped socks out there (I love the slower wider stripes, because they feel a little less stripey). Your socks are coming out fantastic (fantastically doesn't really look like a word)!

3:13 AM  
Blogger Celeste said...

I use the Russian Bind-off that Wendy from Wendyknits uses...

"Russian bind-off. The technique (worked loosely):

Knit 2, slip these 2 sts back to the lefthand needle, k2tog, *k1, slip 2 sts on righthand needle back to the lefthand needle, k2tog*. Repeat from * to *."

6:17 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Those Sockapalooza socks are so pretty! I love the color transitions.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com