Thursday, June 28, 2007

...And the Angels Sang...

When last we saw my Sockapalooooza socks, sock #1 had been bound off with a modified tubular bind off and, quite frankly, I, for one, was less than satisfied with the end result. Yes, it was still not pulling its weight, so to speak, and was (albeit just a tiny bit) too binding a bind off.

There was some mention of a possible toe-up epiphany of sorts, and my friends, I think I have seen the light!












(If you think the modified tubular bind off is a pig, try undoing it!)












Original bind off taken out, and stitches ready to give it another go...













But, what's this? Who is this hero on the horizon?


Why, yes, it's humble old Rainbow Elastic, available, oddly enough, in a rainbow of colors!













Will it work?

Yes, my friends, it does! It does leave you with two extra ends to weave in, but this really does seem to alleviate the binding bind off. I used the good ole modified tubular bind off, but this would also work with EZ's sewn bind off or even a standard bind off (colormatching would be more of an issue with this option, as you'd actually have basically a round knit in the elastic) knitter's choice!

I know I can't be the first to have thought of this, but it really has opened the previously self restricted door to all those lovely toe-up patterns out there I had been avoiding due to my picky-ness about achieving just the right bind off!

I hope my sock pal is as happy with it as I am!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger KnittingHawkeye said...

that's a good idea. I love how your socks are coming out. Beautiful. I just finished my first sock tonight. Getting excited. =)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

The elastic is an amazingly good idea. The mind races - you could even cast on with it (says the woman who has a big problem with casting on too tightly, working the whole leg, turning the heel, then deciding that no human's foot will fit through the cuff and frogging the whole sock...)

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the colors! so pretty!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

What a good idean. Glad you got satisfaction!

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note to let you know that you won my blog contest and I will need your snail mail please ;)

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site counter
www.popularcontacts.com